Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Assignment 1

If I could be a writer for one show on Comedy Central it would have to be the Daily Show. Political pundits always try to take themselves and what they are talking about so seriously. There is finally a show that makes fun of the stupid and illogical things that politicians say and do. I have always been interested in politics and this show revolves around that subject. Like the comedy on that show, I have a sarcastic humor and like to poke fun at a funny situation. As for an opportunity for that show, it depends on how you read the questions. I think the show has unlimited opportunity for the future. There is plenty of material to write about because the political machine is always running. I would also not be surprised if the show spawned more programs like the Colbert Report. It would be hard pressed to make another show to that standard, but that is the same thing I said when the Colbert Report debuted.

To create a show, I would do what they have been doing for years. Take an institution of popular culture and mock it. The premise of the show is already funny, you just need a story line and some jokes. It has worked for The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, Reno 911, and Drawn Together. A fake dating show would be amazing, except don’t tell the public its fake. Take some nobody from the comedy world (Arsenio, Charlie Murphy, Carrot Top, Andrew Dice Clay, Andy Dick(this could be Tila Tequila style) etc…) and play it out like Rock of Love. Rock of the Love is one the dumbest and grotesque shows on TV, but millions of people still watch each week.

The character I think would be the funniest to write for would be Lt. Jim Dangle on Reno 911. That guy is hysterical. There are so many jokes you can write. Gay, Racist, Sexist, and flat out odd. Also, the dynamic between Dangle and Weigle.

The hardest character to write for would be Colbert. He humor is great, but how do you dumb yourself down enough to come up with that stuff.

I don’t think I can identify with any character on Comedy Central at all, and that is probably a good thing. If I said Larry The Cable Guy, what would that be saying about me.

If I was do change anything about a show, I would limit the interviews on the The Daily Show and Colbert Report. Sometimes the guests are great, (McCain, Dole, Clinton, actors etc…) but sometimes they are boring as hell. I don’t care about a book you wrote that encompasses a part of Tibetan history that even Tibetans don’t know about. If the interviewer can’t sell his interest, how am I going to be interested?

If I was to introduce a new character, it would be another stereotype on Reno 911. Perhaps a Russian from the KGB or an albino, or a Chinese person or a terrorist. That should keep the jokes coming.

No comments: