Tuesday, February 12, 2008

I would have to say that I would have liked to been a writer for the Mind of Mencia. I guess in this case it would have been the Mind of Valentin. I loved the show because he incorporated a lot of the social and political issues into his comedy. That is the kind of comedy that I like to hear and watch, things that anyone can relate to, no matter what race or ethnicity you are. It is very difficult to talk about taboo topics, but Carlos did a great job getting those points across. A lot of comedy sometimes targets specific groups of people, and I feel there is a need for more culturally sensitive material. I am not using the word sensitive as a way to censor comedy, on the contrary, I want to see more cultural relevant material presented. Some people would call it racist, others would say "keeping it real." As a Mexican-American myself I find myself watching comedy specials and sometimes not laughing as much as I want to. I am able to relate to the comedy of those who resemble and look like me. I don't think I am the only one that feels this way. As a writer or contributor to Comedy Central I think my focus would be to target my population by regions. So Cal has huge Mexican and Black communities, therefore I would create a show that would target themes like immigration, stereotypes, etc. A white guy talking about immigration, not too funny, a Mexican talking about immigration, Hilarious!!!! I must know my audience.

No comments: